Add a video to my website header
Using video in your website header is a way to increase visual interest, or highlight your products or services. Videos in your header are played without sound.
Need a little extra guidance? Get expert video planning advice from a GoDaddy Guide.
Note: Custom and stock videos are available to add to headers in websites using the Modern, Kai, Spaces, Slate, Dusk, Dawn, Libre, Luxe, Bright, Sideline, Retro, Trade, Focus and Craft themes. If needed, change your theme.
- Go to your GoDaddy product page.
- Scroll to Websites + Marketing and select Manage next to your website.
- In the Dashboard, select Website and then select Edit Site to open your website editor.
- Select your header, and then select the arrow next to your cover media.
- Select Video.
- Select Change video.
- Drag and drop your video, or select Add videos to access your computer.
- Your changes are saved as you work. Publish your site to make the changes live to everyone else.
Note: If you’ve exceeded your three initial videos, you’ll need to connect your GoDaddy and Vimeo accounts.
Video header best practices
- There is no sound in header videos so that it doesn’t distract the user or increase the time it takes for the page to load. If you want the video to play with sound, then add a video to your site.
- The best videos for headers are short loops (about 30 seconds maximum). If your video is very short (less than 5 seconds), try to make the beginning and ending scenes similar so it’s not jarring when the video jumps back to the beginning of the loop.
- The most effective videos help you:
- Set a mood. Show what life is like behind the scenes, or what it’s like to interact with your employees from the customer’s point of view.
- Showcase your products. Show people using your products so customers can imagine what it’s like for themselves. Or do a digital flythrough to highlight your product’s best features.
- Set the scene. Take your audience on an adventure, especially if you are an event planner or in hospitality. Or give a tour of your shop, spa, restaurant, or cafe.
- Videos should be fairly simple and movement should be smooth and fluid, not choppy or too active.
- Use videos purposefully. They are very good at drawing attention, but shouldn’t distract from the rest of your site.
- Make sure the color of your site content doesn’t blend in with the colors in your video. Otherwise your text is hard to read over the background.
- Avoid text overlay in the video so there are no additional visual distractions.
- Adding text in your header fields instead of in the video helps your site get found in search results.